Tuesday, February 19, 2013

About the Artist

About the Artist

Leung Ching Man, Castaly
1979 >Born in Hong Kong
2002 >BA (Fine Arts), The Chinese University of Hong Kong
2010 >MA (Fine Arts), The Chinese University of Hong Kong


About Castaly's Works

Buoyantly 
Printmaking and Acrylic on Canvas (2010)

A Glad Ambel
Printmaking and Acrylic on Canva (2010)
In Project "A Glad Amble"

Haoren hao hua
Mixed Media on board (Including Mirror, Acrylic etc.)
In Project "Mirror as Painting










Castaly’s works focus on love and memories. She wants to convey a warm and delightful feeling to audiences. From sweet memories, people would find out loves and enjoy their life.

Castaly uses the simplest way to express her feelings–painting. Sometimes, she uses installations as a form to express her feelings in some projects.For example, her project "Mirror as Painting"

She draws on canvas with printmaking, watercolor or acrylic. In some of her projects, she chooses mirrors as a medium.


In Crystaly’s mind, people always blame on their life, they pursue what they do not have, and forget what they have now. To waken people from sorrow and sadness, Crystaly tries to paint and compose warm artworks.

I found Crystaly’s works very adorable. Her paintings are colorful which make me feel refreshing and comfortable. For example, her painting “Buoyantly” applies warm colors which makes the painting looks vintage and reminds me about the bubbles we played while were young.

4 comments:

  1. Jay, Christopher
    40047853

    The first painting that really grabbed my attention on Alice’s blog was Haoren hao hua mainly because of the promiscuous drawn face as the main focal point of the mixed media artwork. Reading more into Castaly’s background I found her interest in promoting a warm and delightful feeling to her audience rather intriguing. I am very curious to know why she feels in such a way, maybe due to her current situation in the art world, her influence from family members, from society, etc. Another interesting fact that Castaly uses in her artwork is her medium: mirrors. I have never seen an artist use a mirror as their canvas before. It really shows me that artists can use anything and everything to display their artwork of interest to their audience of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wong Lok Tung
    52192691

    I am attracted by the colourful artwork painting by Castaly. One of her works is called “Buoyantly”, and there is a man sleeping. There are lots of air bubbles generated from his mouth which I think is representing the dream of the man. Inside each air bubble, there are people inside and they are doing different kinds of things, yet some of them are repeated. I think it may represent the glad memories of our daily lives. This remains me to think more about the happy moments of our life. In my opinion, Castaly use her artwork to express the simplest way for a happy life- to think positively. If we think precisely, there are always happy moments in our daily lives and the best way to be happy is to remember the happy moments instead of bad experiences we have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going through three of her paintings above, I can literally feel the relax and warm atmosphere she expressed, though not much LOVE I can feel from her paintings. Instead, I feel the joy of having an ordinary life, which is reflected from her works.
    I also find out that she often use repeated canvas on her artworks. Some may say this is "lazy", but I think the use of "simple" is also a difficult technique. The use of colors is another element I've found in her works. In the first painting, she uses the contrast of colors to project the focus (the bubbles). In the second painting, she uses white, pink, and blue, to create an overall harmonic atmosphere. From these we see how much efforts she's putted to make "simple" stand out.


    Chan chun ho 53085926

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that Leung Ching Man, Castaly’s art works are simple but self-provoking. The artist used to apply warm colors in her works which made me feel warm and delightful after looking at her works. I found her art works really impressive and are full of imagination since she chose canvas and even mirrors as medium to create art works. Castaly is an artist that advocates positive thinking and attitude. She always wants to encourage people by recalling their sweet and happy memories. As a result, her art works mainly focus on love memories hoping to let people to enjoy their lives and realize that love is always there.
    Chan Hong Lam (53083588)

    ReplyDelete